Friday, June 5, 2009

Explanation

Ok now that I have calmed down enough not to type threats to the Federal Government on the Internet, I will explain what is going on.
I was elected to go to a Junior League Conference on June 12th in Canada. I has asked the ladies running the conference about passports b/c I thought I remember something about the law changing but was told no, we would not need one if we were not flying. We were planning on driving so I thought we were golden.
Well it keep bugging me so I did my own research and found that I initial gut instinct was right and we will need one starting June 1st. But I found that you had an option of getting a Passport Card that is only $20 instead of $75. It would only allow land or sea travel in Mexico, Canada, Jamaica and Caribbean but that was fine with me. So I went to the local Post Office to apply. They old me that even though online wait time said less that six weeks, we were still required to pay a "expedite" fee of $96. That was much more than I was expecting to pay. So we talked to the Junior League Board and they agreed to pay the expedite fee for us. So off I go for the second time and this time I fill out the paper work, get my picture taken pay for all the fees and I think I am ready to go. This is May 21st.
I wait the 7 days and check the status of my card online. It say I have routine service..uh, I have a $96 receipt that says differently. So the only way to contact them is to email them, which I promptly did. Two working days later (Monday) I get an email saying the exact same information as before but include a phone number. So I call. This person tell me that the Post Office was wrong and that you cannot expedite a passport card only a passport book. So now my only option is getting a passport by giving them $75 over the phone. So again I call my traveling buddy and tell her what is up. We agree to pay the money since the League already forked almost $200 in fees to make sure we could go.
So when I make my third phone call, I ask if there is anyway to cancel my card application and just process the book and I was told no. I begged but was told no. I called Deanna and told her the bad news, we would have to have both.
So now fast forward to Wednesday morning. Deanna calls me to tell me that she actually received a phone call from someone saying her application had been kicked out due to the expedite fee being on a passport card application. (note, she applied an a separate post office so I cannot completely blame mine) This man told her he COULD cancel her card application and only made her pay $55 the difference in price from the card to the book. He also told her you cannot have both the card and book. So of course I called the number back and told them the story. They claim they have no idea how "Nathan" did that for her. There is NO WAY to cancel the application for the card. She would put a note in my file for "the agency" to call me.
I wait 24 hours and still no call. So I call AGAIN. I told that person the whole story and again was told, there is no way to stop the card application and give me a refund and he told me to call the Post Office!
I know I am only talking about $20 here but it the principle of the thing now. The only good news was that my file showed my passport had been mailed yesterday so I am going to get to go on the trip.

4 comments:

Jonathan's Mommy said...

How aggrevating! You'd better have the best trip ever to make up for all that frustration!

Neurotic Atty said...

You know, when they first proposed these passport rules several years ago, I thought, "This is going to be a MESS." And it was a mess. There was a huge backlog in applications, and people's vacations were in jeopardy. So they relaxed the rules for another 2 or 3 years. Now I hear from you that, basically, they STILL haven't figured out how to work this whole thing?! It's not acceptable.

Katie said...

Sounds like a huge PIA. I hope by now your passport arrived and that you have a great trip though.

WVU-Mama said...

I wish I would have known...I got quite versed in the rules of traveling to Canada from the US last year as our Annual Meeting was in Toronto last year...

Where is the conference? Where are you staying...I ♥ Canada and could have some recommendations of must sees/eats... :-)